This site is for you and by you, and your support is essential to keep it going. Please Click here.
* (9 January 2019) Some data and specifications of the 2019 Stella SW including the new 14k PG, and I put some pointers in English. CLICK HERE. More sizes will be out this year, don't worry. Now that it's officially out you'll be finding more information everywhere very soon. As usual upon full release I'll buy a few retail reels and give them a thorough real life extended field-testing, then you'll have a realistic review.
* (8 January 2019) Official photos of the 2019 Stella SW are out CLICK 1 & 2. The debut is in 10 days in Japan fishing show, and they go on sale in April. If you've been following this site you knew about it and saw it before the rest of the world beginning with the December 5th update below. Please support this site by clicking HERE so I can continue to provide more worldwide exclusives.
* (19 December 2018) Apparently one can't have a peaceful Christmas when tackle companies insist on spewing rubbish. I've just updated the warning about the freshwater Stella 2018 (Stella FJ). Click Here.
* (14 December 2018) Part #3 of this worldwide exclusive (#1 and #2 highlighted in red below). A very short clip of the 2019 Shimano Stella SW. You can see the new body shape and the new vertical text on spool instead of the traditional horizontal SW text ... CLICK.
* (11 December 2018) Let me put this thing to rest. Here is the origin of that reel which everyone has been acting so coy and mysterious about CLICK. I put some comparison markings for those not mechanically inclined.
* (10 December 2018) More of this worldwide exclusive - CLICK. A beautiful shot of the 2019 Stella SW being tested. Only a perfectly waterproof reel can survive such a ride in the gunnel while being violently attacked by saltwater sprays. We shall see in due time. Also, to address another question I keep getting, the rotor is not composite. Still a fully metal rotor, but has cutaways on top mated with a composite cap to reduce weight.
* (5 December 2018) 2019 Stella SW is coming. Click -> Photo 1 & Photo 2. That's the "major release" I mentioned in September 6th news update down below. Update December 5th- Receiving high volume of emails about it. The reel is coming out in ALL SIZES; I only posted two examples. The reel is lighter, it has new drag washer construction, upgraded gearing, intricate "maze" type water protection, full sealing, and other features that I'll discuss later.
* (26 November 2018) I will very likely be in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, late January. If you have a boat and want to take me fishing, please get in touch. I'll buy the beer and let you use some fancy tackle I'm testing as well. Update November 29th; Found someone, thank you!
* (31 October 2018)I'm PISSED OFF! Look at this CLICK. Apparently Facebook accepts advertisements from anyone who pays without validation or investigation. Scam shops have been buying FB ads, these ads appear to thousands of anglers who think that Facebook would only advertise legitimate businesses, so they fall for it. I don't know what to do. I keep getting heartbreaking emails from scammed fishermen, and my warnings and scam lists can't possibly have Facebook's massive reach.
* (6 September 2018) There will not be a "What Reel " guide this year. The 2017 edition remains very relevant since not much has happened since. I know it feels as if there's a lot of new reels, but in reality most have not entered serial production and as we speak a few are even being redesigned. There is also a major release next year that I'd rather wait and include if it passes the tests. See you in "What Reel 2019".