This site is for you and by you, and your support is essential to keep it going. Please Click here.
* (26 September 2018) This is very important- Please allow up to 3 days for a reply to your email because of the number of messages I receive. To make things easier, when you want a reel recommendation please include your technique, target fish species, and average catch size in the initial message. If not then I'll mail you back asking for this information, then you'll answer and have to wait all over again until I reach your message then dig up the original one and reply. When you say "I need a good reel for shore fishing" I have no way of answering that without a time consuming exchange of follow-up messages. Appreciate your understanding and help in this matter.
* (14 September 2018) There is a problem with some 2018 Stella FJ reels. Please click HERE.
* (6 September 2018) There will not be a "What Reel " guide this year. The 2017 edition remains very relevant since not much has happened since. I know it feels as if there's a lot of new reels, but in reality most have not entered serial production and as we speak a few are even being redesigned. There is also a major release next year that I'd rather wait and include if it passes the tests. See you in "What Reel 2019".
* (30 August 2018) Welcome to people who are new to this site. After reading about your favourite reels, I highly recommend that you look at this article from earlier this year about the volume reviews you see online. Many re-branding operations as well as some major mainstream brands are fooling you.
* (9 August 2018) Quantum Cabo PTSE 100/120 are discontinued. Smaller sizes remain in production.
* (30 July 2018) Beware of this newest scam Click Here. The scammers now create a fake Paypal checkout screen to make you feel safe but you're actually sending your credit card information or password to the crook.
* (15 July 2018) ICAST 2018 article is finished and uploaded. Go to the Blog page and click on it.
* (4 May 2018)The Sahara FI's review is up, and it covers a lot of other ground. Enjoy it.
* (22 March 2018) Penn has just announced that they started putting a ball bearing instead of a bushing inside the line roller of the Slammer III reels. Click Here. I tested the reels when they first came out, found the bushing to be problematic, and gave the reels a thumbs down here & here. Good to see an upgrade and in due time I'll test the upgraded reel and see how it does.